Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Stupid Mac Youtube Channel

So I went and made my own Youtube channel. I intend to populate it with mostly videos of old Mac games, at least the ones I liked. I might also throw in a Linux screencast. I've been meaning to do something like that for ages, so at my current pace I'll get around to it sometime in the next calendar year (don't hold me to it). Also, it looks like Youtube implemented their new comment policy just in time, so all of you who want to call me a booger snot will have to do it from your public Google+ profile :-P

Incidentally, did you know MPEG Steamclip is still around? I needed to edit some of these videos, which were .mov files with an odd audio codec, and Avidemux wouldn't play along. So I remembered MPEG Streamclip which I used a long time ago and went over to their site and saw they had an update from last year. Still runs on Jaguar (!). It's still as easy as ever to use and did exactly what I needed.

One last tidbit, if you upload a 640x480 video to Youtube in H.264 format, it will be horribly distorted when Youtube downscales it to 360p. If you upload as MPEG-4, you won't have that problem.

6 comments:

  1. Fun :) i still play WarBirds sometime.Offline only, have no account. Other games i still run on Tiger are Halo and F/A-18 Korea.
    One i miss very badly is TargetWare combat flightsim, only online for combat, no AI planes. Very realistic flight model physics, and was free. With a community making mods and planes… some time ago I managed to run the window version on ubuntu with wine, fine with exception of no sound :/ Was still fun flying around with these nice models , but nobody to fight with… no more server online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love F/A-18 Korea. I never flew Targetware, but I checked out their forums about the time the developer was screwing them. All that work put into all those mods and planes, all done for free, and the developer just walked out on them. Didn't even leave on the lights. What a turd.

      Delete
  2. As soon as I saw "F/A-18" in comments I took notice. I have family in the Royal Canadian Air Force and we have been using the F-18 (we call it a CF-18) to keep Russian planes out of our airspace since the 80's.

    At least a few times a year the Russians test our response time by flying within 100km of Canadian airspace in a Bear bomber. They have never entered our airspace because they are always met by a group of CF-18 before they do.

    It's the main reason that the Alert surveillance base and the northern line radar exists. Most of the world doesn't even know about this. It's like a constant cat and mouse game that only involves Canada and Russia. Canadian land goes as far north as about 500 miles south of the North Pole. The most northern point is where the surveillance base is.

    Anyway, just wanted to share some real life F/A-18 stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I think Canada and the Russians are gonna be competing for drilling access in the Arctic Ocean, so maybe your family will be getting more "visitors" in the future.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to add that the Russians always turn back and head for home when the CF-18's meet them. No weapon use has ever took place on either side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I still have a copy of Balance of Power -- see the wiki entry -- in my stash of Age Floppy disks that only run pre-FX. Let me know how I can contribute! It will be a short movie, I guess....

    ReplyDelete